Friday, June 21, 2013

Spiritual advantages to being an extrovert aka Apostle Peter

I might be wrong about this but it seems there are a lot more introverts writing on the internet about their lives and what life is like in such an "extroverted world."  Some seem to write a lot, especially on Facebook.   I read a book about how introverts feel marginalized and uncomfortable in evangelical US churches:
http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/6949088-introverts-in-the-church-finding-our-place-in-an-extroverted-culture
Just to make clear: If I have ever made an introvert feel uncomfortable at church (and I must have), I would like to apologize for that right now.

The author of the above mentioned book made some good points in his discussion although I admit I start feeling a little defensive with some things that are said or written about people like me in relation to our walk with the Lord and our place in the world. I have watched a Youtube regarding the introverted/extroverted issue and the very well- known author and speaker said some rather unkind things about extroverts.

One thing I do not want to do is WHINE. I could do that, you know. I could whine about how very sincere, contemplative-types have told me in all seriousness that I need to GET MY ACT TOGETHER and get out there in the woods or somewhere and BE SILENT.  I have been told that I cannot possibly hear from God because I am too talkative.

But, hey, who's whining?

We have all heard the sermons about the Apostle Peter.  He is the "sanguine"  person.  He impulsively spoke before he thought.  (Maybe speaking the words was part of the process of his thinking? Ever consider that?) Granted, the denial of the Lord incident was pretty bad. And I've felt similar remorse about things said.
So he was the sanguine personality:
http://www.sodahead.com/living/what-personality-type-are-you-choleric-melancholy-sanguine-or-phlegmatic/question-522727/;
or he was  "the HIGH I" on DISC scale, high influence or inducement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DISC_assessment.

We know he impulsively spoke and did things. Yet he was the leader of the church.  He was the first to get up and make that amazing speech right after Pentecost.  Acts 2: 14 ff

But Peter, [o]taking his stand with (S)the eleven, raised his voice and declared to them: “Men of Judea and all you who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you and give heed to my words. 15 For these men are not drunk, as you suppose, (T)for it is only the [p]third hour of the day; 16 but this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel:

Think about it.....He had a lot of courage and chutzpah to stand up and make that speech.  I doubt if he spent hours studying, writing, agonizing over that sermon.  He just did it.  God inspired him; the Holy Spirit had certainly entered his life and gave him supernatural power.  But it was the extrovert Peter who got up, taking his stand with the eleven and raised his voice.

Was this a spiritually formative experience?  Can spiritual formation take place at a crowded Jewish feast day or a hot, loud, chaotic city?

You are likely wondering about the picture of the pugs.  First of all, let it be known that  I have a real affinity for pugs.  And strangely enough, they find me....in Germany, France, San Francisco, Los Angeles and along the Highline Canal Trail in Denver.

Meet Scooby and Honeybun (above).

What are they doing in this particular post?

A couple weeks ago, as I walked along the trail, listening to a book, I glanced ahead and noticed coming in my direction these two pugs and their owner.  As you know, we extroverts have never met a stranger and are just not afraid to greet people or pugs.

I said to the woman, "May I greet your pugs?"  She smiled and said, "Of course."  I introduced myself, asked her name and then the names of the pugs.  (Probably good to ask in that order.)  The pugs loved me. I think they know a fan when they come upon one.

I noticed that their owner had a stack of worn index cards in her hand and, lo and behold, they were Bible verses. I asked her about the verses and found out that I had stumbled upon a woman with a Doctor of Ministries who has a counseling and spiritual direction practice.  She is a Chaplain at the hospital and was on staff at a church. She is also mentoring a student at Denver Seminary who is studying spiritual formation.  We had a short but encouraging conversation.

Now if I was not an extrovert, I might have missed out on that divine moment and meeting. Who knows if I've not met an new friend as well as someone who might encourage me in my spiritual journey?


No comments:

Post a Comment