Monday, March 4, 2013

I love to study the Bible.


I never tire of Bible study.  I continue to see and learn new things from the Word of God.  Studying Judges 4 and 5, particularly Deborah, I learned about her character as revealed in the words of her song (Chapter 5.)  God gave me an unique blessing to share about my study at church on a Sunday morning. If you would like to hear my message, here is the Youtube link.  


The actual sermon begins at 2:30 by the pastor.  Lisa begins at 12:50.  There is a short communion invitation from 11:30-12:50 if you want to skip that. (My supportive husband wrote this.)





Studying the gospel of John with the Chinese ladies energizes me so much that I can hardly fall asleep on Thursday nights. I seem to learn so much more when I discuss the Bible with others. Although I prepare, these women come up with excellent insights.  There is always something new from the Word of God!

In John chapter 1, I noticed a phrase in verse 6, "There  came a man sent from God whose name was John."   The apostle John wrote the gospel to make the point that Jesus is God.  Jesus is described in chapter one as light, life, creator, full of grace and truth, born not of man but of God. John does not refer to Jesus as "man."  We know Jesus is fully man as well as fully God.  John's point in this gospel and even with this contrast between what he writes of John the Baptist (John B from here on out) and Jesus affirms Jesus' deity. 

Then there is John B's baptism of Jesus. I admit that this story has always baffled me just a bit. Why was John B baptizing people?  Isn't baptism something Christians do?  And why, for heaven's sake, did Jesus need to be baptized? The other thing is: Weren't they cousins?  Why didn't they talk to each other more?  Granted, there was no Facebook, email or phones but I would have thought Jesus and John B. would have had more of a relationship? They certainly had a lot in common. But, you know, guys, maybe not so relational?  And John B must have been an introvert because he lived out in the middle of no where.

I decided to do some research on this via Jewish scholars. I mean, John B and Jesus were both Jews. What did baptism mean for Jews?  John B must have been doing something that the Jews of that time understood. What was it?

The Hebrew word for baptism is "Mikveh" and literally means "gathering of the waters."  In the Jewish law, the word is specifically used for ritual immersion. The mikveh was so important that it is said Jews insisted the mikveh be built before the construction of a synagoue. Immersion was so important that the High Priest held a  mikveh service before the Day of Atonement. Jewish scholars believe that Ezra made the decree that each male should immerse himself before praying or studying.  Several Jewish groups observed ritual immersion every day TO ASSURE READINESS FOR THE COMING OF THE MESSIAH. 

BINGO! Does that ever make the first chapter of John's gospel three dimensional! The Jews were familiar with baptism, with being immersed. And they related it specifically to the coming of the Messiah. I can imagine with all the pain and suffering the people of Israel experienced under the Romans, you betcha, they were looking for the Messiah and wanted to be ready.

So why did Jesus come to be baptized? One thought: He wanted to affirm his cousin's ministry and life. John B. did not live an easy life. He was devoted to God, lived in the wilderness on a vegan diet. Jesus appreciated all John B did for the furtherance of the gospel of the kingdom, pre evangelism work, shall we say.

Another thought: The humiltiy and humanity of Christ. He was one of us, in one sense, and completely NOT one of us in another. But He seemed to want to experience humanity in a complete way.

Back to more Bible study!




No comments:

Post a Comment