Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lisa writing about mysticism????


Into the Region of Awe: Mysticism in C. S. LewisIn reading books on spiritual formation, I came across many that were labeled mysticism. I did not enjoy, understand or appreciate most of what I read. When I saw this book in downloadable form from the public library, I was intrigued. CS Lewis' writing has keenly influenced my faith. I finished the book in record time. There was so much to ponder that I find writing about the book difficult yet necessary.
I found that just as I have had to clarify my definition of spiritual formation to "Christian spiritual formation" I appreciated the author narrowing his discussion of mysticism to the "Christian realm."
Downing has a vast understanding of Lewis' work, and that itself gives him some credibility. He methodically and convincingly (I think) demonstrates strands of mysticism in Lewis' writings. I particularly enjoyed reminders of Lewis books I've not read in years.
I would never even slightly consider myself a Christian mystic (nor would anyone else who knows me) yet something in me resonates when I read these words of Lewis (quoted on p.46),"All the things that have ever deeply possessed your soul have been just hints of it-tantalizing glimpses, promises never quite fulfilled, echoes that died away just as they caught your ear."
Then Downing clarifies ME in this discussion by quoting mysticism scholar W.T.Stace. Stace "distinguishes between 'introverted mysticism,' based on meditation or contemplation, and 'extroverted mysticism,' an ecstatic response to visible emblems found in nature." I am the latter!
I probably will not read much more by Christian mystics or about mysticism, but I am very glad I read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment