Saturday, February 2, 2013

Silence and the snow

snowy morning.jpg

From my own archives Nov 2, 2011)
(I have missed the snow this year.  Lord, bring us more...)

I am a “morning” person.  The seasons bring such diversity in “morning” whether it be the sunrise, sun bouncing off the flowers, windy mornings with leaves flying around or a morning like today. 

I always know when the snow has fallen over night at the moment I wake up. I tend to be wide awake the moment my eyes open. Right away, I notice the light. Now that it is autumn I wake up in the dark. But if there has been snow, I wake up to light and silence. The snow brightens the night and hides noise. This morning I woke up to such silence.  Snow had blanketed Denver.  I peeked outside and smiled with delight at the sight.  Then I enjoyed the silence.

Now most of you probably don’t think that silence and Lisa go together like a “horse and carriage” as the song says. Just yesterday I was telling a woman from the seminary that two of my strong values are relationships and community. But silence has a place in my life. Who wouldn’t appreciate silence in our noisy world?  I thought, “I wonder how many of the 7 billion now on our planet enjoy moments likes these, looking out at such beauty and not hearing a single sound?”  Maybe some people in Mongolia or Antarctica. (I think most of the 7 billion are in chaotic, urban areas.)

As I have told people, I often hear God most powerfully when I am in the presence of others or I hear Him through others. So I said to God this morning like Samuel in I Samuel 3: 10, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”  At moments like these, I am thankful that there are lot of Bible verses and concepts in my head and heart. 

“Wait”  Seemed to hear that word.

That is a good Biblical word.  Know that many people continue asking me, “What are you going to do now with your life? What are you waiting for?”  Most of the time this just brings kind of an angst feeling to my heart. In the silence and peace of this morning, maybe God is encouraging me to keep waiting. I had the thought, “It’s okay to wait the rest of my days on earth.”  Waiting on Him each day, each moment to follow His Spirit within me (Eph 1: 13, 14), His Word (Hebrews 4:12) and the life of His Son (all that I can learn about Him in the Gospels.) 

And that waiting brings strength to keep going.(Isaiah 40:31: Those who wait on the Lord will be renewed in strength. They will run and not be weary).  I guess God knew there would be people “who run” and He is there for us so we won’t get weary. I am one of those people (like another of his creation-the hummingbird) who moves quickly through life and He does not condemns me for who or how I am. I consider the silence and beauty a chance to wait and be renewed this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment